Friday 12 April 2013

Migraines




Migraines are really nasty, horrible, headaches which can be debilitating.


Migraines have been given  names to  help Doctors diagnose and help treat patients. The 2 most common forms of Migraines, Migraine with aura and Migraine without aura.

Aura is the change in the cortex area of the brain which changes in the sight, such as dark spots, flashing lights, coloured spots, zig zag lines, sparkles or stars. Numbness or tingling can occur, weakness, dizziness or vertigo can also happen. Speech and hearing can be disturbed, feeling of fear or confusion and more rarely partial paralysis or fainting. These neurological symptoms are called aura with migraine.  In Adults these symptoms happen before the headache, but in children they happen at the same time as the headache.  

  1. Aura
    The aura of migraine includes a wide range of neurological symptoms. This stage can last for between 5 and 30 minutes, and usually happens before the headache. Only 15% of migraine sufferers have aura. Migraine without aura does not include this stage.
  2. The headache
    This stage involves head pain which can be severe, even unbearable. The headache is typically throbbing, and made worse by movement. Some sufferers describe a pressing or tightening pain. The headache is usually on one side of the head, especially at the start of an attack. Some sufferers get pain on both sides of the head, or over the forehead, but not usually at the back of the head. Nausea (sickness) and vomiting (being sick) can happen at this stage, and the sufferer may feel sensitive to light or sound, or both.
  3. Resolution
    Most attacks slowly fade away, but some stop suddenly after the sufferer is sick, or cries a lot. Sleep seems to be the best 'cure' for many sufferers, who find that even an hour or two can be enough to end an attack. Many children find that sleeping for just a few minutes can stop their attack.
  4. Recovery
    This is the final stage of an attack, and it can take hours or days for a ‘hangover’ type feeling to disappear. Symptoms can be similar to those of the first stage, and often they are mirrored symptoms. For example, if you lost your appetite at the beginning of the attack, you might be very hungry now. If you were tired, now you might feel full of energy.
Avoiding food artificial sweeteners and additives really help to prevent a migraine attack, Artificial sweeteners, preservatives and flavour enhancers such as mono sodium glutamate are known to create severe migraines.
Sweeteners such as aspartame, saccharin and Splenda can be replaced with stevia, a naturally sweet herb with no known side effects and no calories.

Avoiding foods that might trigger a migraine attack can feel like a punishment but if it reduces the amount of migraine attacks it would be worth it.
Chocolate, alcohol, caffeinated drinks, sodas, refined sugars, genetically modified foods, gluten-containing grains, aged cheese and peanuts are some of the common culprits.

Adding tryptophan to your diet will help to reduce the migraine attacks, tryptophan is one of the ten essential  amino acids, stimulates the production of the brain transmitter dopamine, which contributes to the release of serotonin. Migraine relief often results in the flow of serotonin which elevates moods, relieves anxiety and tension and relaxes tiny muscles around the capillaries in the scalp.
I used to suffer with migraines and when an attack came on I would end up in bed for a couple of days. I started to keep a diary to see if I could find out what was triggering the migraine attack:-
What time did I wake up
How many times in the night did I wake 
What did I eat or drink that day
How much TV did I watch
How much computer work did I do
Did I open my bowel
Did I travel 
What was my emotional state that day
All these points were really helpful in finding out the trigger points, I found that if I didn't eat my breakfast and lunch then I that would start an attack, I found that not opening my bowels for a couple of days would start a headache which could lead to a migraine. There seemed to be lots of triggers that would start an attack, so I changed my diet and the way that I was leading my life, not getting to stressed was a big help.

There are lots of treatments that you can get from the Doctor or over the counter medications, but these have side effects and have lots of harmful chemicals in them. I found that taking nutri-calm has really helped me which is a supplement that I take a twice a day. I have put a link which will hopefully help you, all you have to do is answer a few questions and wait for the results.


http://www.tmnaturehealth.co.uk/lifestyle_analysis_key_products.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment